In honor of Mother’s Day coming up I decided to interview the kids, asking them why they think their mommy is the best. They gave me lots of reasons and ideas for my list today. The trouble was trying to edit them all to match this comment. I listed them from least to most coherent.
1. She helps me brush my teeth and gives me kisses. (Tim) This was the most coherent response from Tim but it was very enthusiastic.
2. She plays race cars with me. (Ben) I saw Ben sitting on her lap the other day using her as a highway. Rebecca just laughed and made beeping sounds with him. I love how Rebecca is funny and knows how to be silly on their level.
3. She helps me ride my bike. (Gwenna) She went on to say it was mommy that taught and encouraged her to ride.
4. She does my hair. (Gwenna) Gwenna then reminded me that I don’t kinow how to do GIRL hair. She also reminded me that I always part Tim’s hair on the wrong side. Well, I do get it right 50% of the time.
5. She takes me out for Mommy/Daughter dates and ice cream. (Gwenna) Rebecca is always mindful that Gwenna (until Xianli was born) was surrounded by boys and made sure Gwenna has a chance to be a girl. Sometimes it is taking her shopping or painting her room pink. Gwenna just loves it. The opposite is true too. Rebecca loves go camping, wrestle, or play dinosaurs with the boys.
6. She is nice to us. (Gwenna and Will) I thought it was interesting that this was the first response both Gwenna and William gave when I asked them about mom. Ben also concurred with this response.
7. She makes the best pineapple upside down cake. (Will) This was quickly followed by muffins, cookies, lunches, etc. What can you say? She is a great cook.
8. She reads Tom Sawyer to us. (Will) Rebecca keeps the book in the car for all the down time while she does all the driving around with them. Every time I get in the car the kids start asking if we can read Tom Sawyer.
9. She takes us to Family Fun Night. (Will) Will was referring to the school fun and games night we recently attended. Rebecca is always willing to spend the night at a picnic, school night, etc with five kids. She is a remarkably brave woman.
10. She knows the answers to their questions. Rebecca got a degree in biology (with emphisis in zoology). She always able to answer the kids’ questions. I remember watching this last pregnancy as Rebecca opened up an anatomy textbook with Gwenna to explain the stages of fetus development. Gwenna thought mom was pretty cool.
11. She works her butt off for this family. Rebecca has made sacrifices to be a stay-at-home mom. It takes a lot of energy to take care of five children. There are some days when she is exhausted or frustrated, but she always works hard to take care of us. And we greatly appreciate her.
12. She is creative. Whether it is making birthday cakes, costumes, or finding ways to keep us in budget, Rebecca is creative. She always surprises me about what she can come up with. She is never afraid to take on a project.
13. She is loved by her kids. Even though the kids cycle through mommy/daddy phases, she is the one the most often wanted when the nightmare strikes or the knees are skinned. They always miss her when she is not around.
I also wanted to add “She is HAWT!” but the kids just said I was being silly. I guess that is the way it is supposed to be.
We love you Rebecca. Happy Mother’s Day.