Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pinewood Derby Time


It is spring and that means Pinewood Derby time. This is one of my favorite things about having sons. I loved making and racing pinewood derby cars when I was a boy. And now I am having as much fun watching William do it. And yes I am letting him do most of the work, though I sometimes have to sit on my hands.

It is really easy, as a father, to get too involved in the making of his son's car. In fact it is a running joke in Cub Scouts about how much fathers do just that. Last year I saw the movie Down and Derby, which follows a group of highly competitive fathers who go way overboard with their sons' cars. I just about died laughing because it was so true. The only thing that wasn't real was how much the wives put up with it.

Inside every man is a boy and every boy loves building and racing little wooden cars. The only difference between men and boys is men can finally build the cars they always dreamed about as boys.

No comments: